Health & Welfare
We care for the health and welfare of our students
A full-time Health and Welfare Officer is employed by the school to take care of the sick and injured students. Her office is in the Primary School next to the Reception.
In addition our teachers are regularly trained in First Aid Services.
Communicable Disease Policy
The Health and Welfare Officer helps to control and prevent communicable diseases. Please call the school to report your child’s absence and the condition he/she has got.
Speech & Language Therapy
B.I.S. hosts a fully qualified speech and language therapist. She speaks German, English as well as Arabic. Parents can request her services as a private arrangement. In most cases health insurance will cover costs of treatment.
The role of a Speech and Language Therapist (SLT) is to assess and treat speech, language and communication problems in individuals of all ages to enable them to communicate to the best of their ability.
Strong emphasis is placed on multidisciplinary team liaison and collaboration with parents/teachers and other communication partners. This practice offers the best support options for students with communication difficulties and encourages carry-over of communication in all of the student’s environments.
At B.I.S., the Speech and Language therapist provides the following services which are billed to parents through invoice from the school:
- Speech and/or Language Assessments in English
- Classroom observation
- Using specialised skills the SLT works through direct ongoing therapeutic intervention to support people with different types of communication difficulty
- Group or paired therapy sessions as appropriate for the communication challenge
SLTs assist students who have the following types of problems:
- Difficulty producing and using speech
- Difficulty understanding language
- Difficulty using language
- Difficulty with feeding, chewing or swallowing
- A stammer
- A voice problem
SLTs also work with individuals who may experience the following problems:
- Pervasive Developmental disorders
- Learning disability
- Physical disability