IB World School
Embracing multicultural diversity
Berlin International School is
- an authorized IB World School,
- a state recognized private school in the State of Berlin,
- a private, non-profit, non-denominational day school offering student-centered learning to international and local students,
- fully accredited by Council of International Schools and Middle States Association (MSA-CESS),
- a part of Stiftung Private-Kant Schulen gGmbH and play an active role in the life of this educational institution.
Conveniently located in southwest Berlin
Figures and focus
Signatures of our success
34 Ø IBDP score 2023
2018 CIS re-accreditation
94% IBDP passed
Health & Well-Being
Our School Counselors and Health & Welfare Officer are on campus to support our students and their day to day health and emotional needs.
As an all-day program, B.I.S. provides After School Care. We also run After School Activities to enrich our students' lives through a wide variety of classes.
Our libraries provide resources to support curriculum and to encourage the development of intellectual curiosity and a joy of reading.
Whether working with iPads, Smartboards or in multimedia labs, B.I.S.’s curriculum and student learning is deepened through the meaningful integration of technology.
Students can engage in a wide range of exciting arts opportunities at B.I.S. Beyond our music and visual arts curriculum, students explore dance, drama and more.
Sport forms a major part of the B.I.S. extracurricular programme with a wide variety of athletic offerings and competitions, such as the German International School Sports competition.
Principles of learning at B.I.S.
We are committed to promoting the values and attributes of the IB Learner Profile and the “Bildungs- und Erziehungsziele” in the State of Berlin, while facilitating an appreciation and respect of our shared humanity and diverse community.
- Provide challenging programs that support students in realizing their academic and individual potential.
- Offer a curriculum that is local and global, develops conceptual understanding, has a particularly strong emphasis on inquiry and encourages academic excellence.
- Encourage the development of thinking, communication, social, self-management and research skills.
- Cultivate multilingualism with an emphasis on English and German language acquisition.
- Ensure that students are able to work independently and as part of a team, in addition to having the opportunity to gain leadership experiences.
- Innovate with technology to further enhance teaching and learning.
- Support learning and program development through effective, deliberate assessment practices.
- Facilitate opportunities that enhance social, intellectual, physical and creative competencies inside and outside the classroom.
- Create a safe, supportive environment where the physical and emotional integrity of each member of our community is respected.
- Develop awareness of our individual and collective responsibility to live sustainably.
- Foster a shared partnership between students, families and the school.
What requirements does my child have to fulfill for admission?
Basically, the chemistry between the family and the school should be right, because we attach great importance to a trusting exchange. Families who are verifiably active on the international stage are given priority.
Which language skills are required for admission?
Knowledge of English and / or German is certainly an advantage, but not a basic requirement, although very good English skills are needed with increasing class level in order to be able to follow the lessons. Knowledge of English will be determined in the course of entrance tests. For the different age groups, language support programs for English and German of different levels offer good opportunities to quickly compensate for language deficits.
What do students study at B.I.S.?
My child is not from an international background. Can we still apply?
Berlin International School exists primarily to serve the international educational needs of the national and international community of Berlin/Brandenburg. However, admission is open to all students who wish to profit from a challenging, international, university preparatory education.
Do all teachers hold teaching qualifications?
As a state-recognized alternative school, our teachers must have certified teaching qualifications. Every teacher who teaches with us will be registered in the Senate Education Administration when the responsible body is hired. Proof of qualifications is checked there and so-called teaching permits are issued. In addition, our teachers regularly take part in further and advanced training.
What are the school fees?
Basically, school fees correspond to an annual fee that can be conveniently divided into twelve monthly instalments. For a school year, payments are to be made from August of one year up to and including July of the following year. The school fees include the costs for school attendance, warm lunches and all-day care.
In the school year 2023/2024, annual school fees amount to EUR 11,880.00 for Grades 1-6, EUR 12,720.00 for Grades 7-10 and EUR 17,400.00 for grades 11 and 12 (IBDP), resulting in monthly instalments of EUR 990.00 respectively EUR 1,050.00 or EUR 1,450.00. A one-time admission fee of EUR 800.00 is payable upon conclusion of the contract.
Furthermore, there is an annual charge for “resource fees” at the beginning of each school year as follows
Grades 1-5 – € 100,00
Grades 6-8 – € 150,00
Grades 9-10 – € 200,00
Additional costs may arise in the context of After School Activities, excursions, school trips and external exams.
Are there any discounts on school fees?
Yes, there are, e.g. for siblings who are also students at B.I.S. Corresponding additional agreements are issued by the Admissions Office when the contract is concluded. Low-income families can also apply for income-related school fees. The application form plus complete and reliable evidence of family income should be sent to the Management Office. For further inquiries on income-related school fees please contact the management at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When are school holidays?
|No school/Public holidays||08.05.24||10.05.24||13.05.24|
|No school/Public holidays||01.05.25||02.05.25||05.05.25|
|No school/Public holidays||29.05.25||30.05.25||02.06.25|
|No school/Public holidays||09.06.25||09.06.25||10.06.25|
An overview of the school holidays including the dates for conferences, celebrations, etc. can be downloaded here.
Upcoming events at B.I.S.
The school will be closed for holidays.
No school for students.
GERMAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL SPORT TOURNAMENTS
Early dismissal at 11.30h.
The school will be closed for holidays.
No school for students.